Chicago, you and I need to talk...

This post is part of my 'Speed-Dating Cities' series...
- - - - - - -


Okay, I'm just going to put it out there.
While I loved you when I was living in Evanston and bumming while my mates were out studying at Northwestern; and while I will always love you because "The Good Wife" is set in your incredibly beautiful city...

...it ain't right that you're not building the Chicago Spire.



Source: here and here.

I need my Calatrava fix.
Yes, he's done the Samuel Beckett Bridge in Dublin recently, and the Liege-Guillemins train station... and the Palacio de Congresos de Oviedo looks fantastic:






Source: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
A less popular angle on the Palacio:

Source: here.

Check out the Flickr pool here.


but I wanted something tall and American from him. The skyscraper is such an American device that's gone global, but to see a mind like Calatrava's twist itself around the typology, and look to bringing a fresh take on it....

Sure, it's not the most original idea - the Helicoidal Skyscraper for Manhattan (proposed in 1968) by Manfredi Nicoletti came four decades before - but the reality is this: Chicago, you need this landmark. And it doesn't matter if the Irishman Garrett Kelleher is unable to fund it any more, you need to dig deep for beauty.

Leave inner beauty to cities like... Medan and Abuja.


Source: here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello There! Leave me a message - particularly if you've got a city in mind for me to date! The Geek Buck's a huge fan of matchmakers.