Pashing Perth: Lusting after Iwan Iwanoff

This post is part of my 'Speed-Dating Cities' series...





Marsala House, Dianella, 1977
Source: here and here.

Iwan Iwanoff's (1919 - 1986) meticulous assemblage of concrete blocks appear, at first glance, mathematical, but the whimsy that encompasses (and, perhaps, distinguishes) his body of work has me chasing down a different description...

... I could say they remind me of the music video for Royksopp's "Happy Up Here":

that his blockwork could've been a precursor to Tomohiro Nichikado's "Space Invaders" arcade video game.




Roberts House, City Beach, 1967.
Source: here

But I think I'll go with this:
Iwanoff's houses are a parliament of blockwork - complex and formed of aligned candidates fielded by their respective little, blocky, caucuses. Each, certain of its place ,and comfortable in the public glare; each, vocal in contributing to the party's voice. Mies van der Rohe once said that "architecture is the will of an epoch translated into space". Unapologetic, these acervation of blocks sing with a material-led optimism that persists from the 60's and 70's, a quality that is unfortunately lacking in buildings of the current age.






Kessel House, Dianella, 1977.
Source: here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello There! Leave me a message - particularly if you've got a city in mind for me to date! The Geek Buck's a huge fan of matchmakers.